Lightning strike outside of home causes toilet inside to explode
A Florida couple learned the hard way that "explosive diarrhea" isn't the worst explosion you can have in a bathroom.
"It was the loudest noise I've ever heard," MaryLou Ward told WTHR-TV. Ward, her husband and their three dogs were in their bedroom enjoying the sounds of a Sunday morning storm when suddenly, they were blown out of bed.
Turns out a shallow septic tank, lightning and natural gas don't play well together.
According to A-1 Affordable Plumbing, lightning struck the Ward's septic tank. Methane gases from fecal matter built up in the pipes and, ignited by the lightning, created an explosion that traveled up the waste pipe and destroyed their toilet.
The porcelain was punished like never before, bursting into pieces. The explosion even shot through some of the house's windows and onto the lawn.
With the septic tank damaged, the Wards now need new plumbing -- plus another toilet. Thankfully for them, it should all be covered by their insurance.
"I’m just glad none of us were on the toilet," Ward told WINK-TV in Fort Myers. "That’s the main thing."